The Istanbul Convention: A vital opportunity to end violence against women! - Factsheet (2018)
The implementation of the Istanbul Convention will have a real impact on women’s lives in Europe who deserve to live a life free from all forms of violence!
That's why the European Coalition to end violence against women & girls created this factsheet to call on:
- The Council of the European Union to ratify without delay the Council of Europe Convention on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence (the Istanbul Convention), within the most effective scope of EU competence.
- EU Member States who have not yet done so to ratify the Istanbul Convention without delay and without reservations, and to put in place the necessary legislative and policy framework to ensure its adequate implementation, including allocating sustainable and adequate funding, and cooperating with civil society and women’s rights organisations.
- EU Institutions to fully integrate the Istanbul Convention into the EU legislation and policy framework, establishing an effective and representative EU monitoring framework.
- The European Commission and EU Member States to develop a comprehensive EU Strategy to prevent and combat all forms of violence against women and girls, and to address all the structural issues that fuel this violence.
- The EU to appoint an EU coordinator on ending violence against women and girls, with a strong political mandate and responsibility to: coordinate the EU Strategy and all the efforts of the relevant EU Institutions and agencies (EIGE, FRA, EUROJUST, EASO, EUROSTAT, etc.); and to facilitate the exchange of good practices for the implementation of the Convention at the national level.