The European Coalition to end Violence Against Women and Girls launched its updated Factsheet on the Istanbul Convention
As a consequence of the EU developments concerning the signature and process of ratification of the Istanbul Convention throughout 2017, the European Coalition to end Violence Against Women and Girls, of which End FGM EU is a member, published an updated factsheet to call upon:
- The Council of the European Union to ratify without delay the Council of Europe Convention on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence (the Istanbul Convention), within the most effective scope of EU competence.
- EU Member States who have not yet done so to ratify the Istanbul Convention without delay and without reservations, and to put in place the necessary legislative and policy framework to ensure its adequate implementation, including allocating sustainable and adequate funding, and cooperating with civil society and women’s rights organisations.
- EU Institutions to fully integrate the Istanbul Convention into the EU legislation and policy framework, establishing an effective and representative EU monitoring framework.
- The European Commission and EU Member States to develop a comprehensive EU Strategy to prevent and combat all forms of violence against women and girls, and to address all the structural issues that fuel this violence.
- The EU to appoint an EU coordinator on ending violence against women and girls, with a strong political mandate and responsibility to: coordinate the EU Strategy and all the efforts of the relevant EU Institutions and agencies; and to facilitate the exchange of good practices for the implementation of the Convention at the national level.
Read full PDF here.