UNFPA (Efua dorkenoo pan african award), the United Nations Population Fund, and The Guardian are launching the Efua Dorkenoo Pan African Award for Reportage on FGM for journalists reporting on FGM across Africa. The award is intended to increase media awareness and engagement on FGM within community, national and regional media outlets and recognize and encourage outstanding efforts of journalists throughout Africa.
All articles and reports could be either of investigative or human-interest types; produced in Arabic, English or French; and should be printed or broadcast in Africa between 1 January and 31 December 2015. If the article or report was originally published in a local language, please provide a translated version of the article in Arabic, English or French.
To be eligible for the competition, the candidate must be:
- A professional journalist working in or for print press (daily, weekly, monthly), radioor TV in Africa or a freelancer with proof of publication of commissioned material. Contest will be limited to journalists working for Africa-based news outlets
- A national of an African country
Candidates can submit one of the following:
- Print story, not exceeding 2,000 words
- Radio report, from 4 to 15 minutes
- TV report, from 4 to 15 minutes
Entries will be judged based on:
- Compliance with above eligibility, topic and format conditions
- Quality and relevance of data
- Writing/reporting style
- Respect for ethical guideline
You can find all details on how to apply here .