Every woman and girl has the right to live a life free from any form of Gender-Based Violence and be in a safe, peaceful and enabling environment where she can fully exercise her rights.
- We advocate for an end to all forms of Gender-Based Violence, which manifests in different forms, including FGM.
- We also want to ensure Survivors are protected and supported through a holistic approach.
- We want to empower FGM-affected communities and provide them with a platform to speak out and to create change within their communities as well as influencing decision making processes.
What is the current status?
European Union (EU)
The EU addresses Gender-Based Violence and FGM through:
- The equality and non-discrimination;
- The judicial cooperation in criminal matters competencies.
The European Commission is in the process of proposing new policies and legal frameworks to strengthen its fight against Gender-Based Violence and FGM. It is currently negotiating on the budget that will be allocated to this over the next EU financial cycle.
Council of Europe (CoE)
The Council of Europe, through the Group of Experts on Action against Violence against Women and Domestic Violence (GREVIO), periodically monitors the implementation of actions to combat Gender-Based Violence, at country level.
United Nations (UN)
Every two years, the UN reviews the global progress for eliminating FGM and adopts new commitments.
Furthermore, to mark the 25th anniversary of the Beijing Platform for Action, a global campaign has been launched, called Generation Equality. This campaign addresses key thematic areas to advance gender equality the Action Coalitions to advance gender equality, including Gender-Based Violence and Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights, which are relevant for endign FGM.