Job Opportunity: Policy and Advocacy Officer (Full time position)
DEADLINE EXTENDED: to 6th of July
End FGM EU is looking for a Policy & Advocacy Officer, to be in charge of:
- Devising and implementing End FGM EU’s advocacy strategy and plans;
- Shaping and drafting End FGM EU’s policy and position papers;
- Liaising with relevant stakeholders, advocating towards EU institutions, Council of Europe and United Nations and other relevant international bodies and representing End FGM EU at different meetings and events as appropriate;
- Provide training, advice and support to the members on advocacy at European and national level;
- Provide training and support on advocacy to the End FGM EU Ambassadors to help them fulfil the ambassador role as defined by the Network.
- Develop, implement and monitor the Network’s multi-annual Advocacy Strategy and annual advocacy plans to implement the strategy in consultation with secretariat staff, the Board and the member organisations;
- Ensure that a human rights and equality perspective is mainstreamed in all advocacy work, according to EU and international frameworks;
- Monitor policy developments at European and international level and identify policy-related opportunities to raise the issue of FGM;
- Advocate for the implementation of European and international commitments to end FGM, e.g. the EC Communication on FGM and the obligations stemming from the Council of Europe Convention on VAW and DV (Istanbul Convention);
- Liaise and build a dialogue and cooperation with relevant EU and national institutions representatives, stakeholder groups and international organisations;
- Draft policy-papers, positions, motions, amendments, submissions and other policy documents that may be required to pursue advocacy objectives;
- Coordinate the work with member organisations and Ambassadors related to End FGM EU’s policy & advocacy work (working groups, consultations, toolkits, capacity building and coordination of joint advocacy actions and opportunities)
- Engage with and represent End FGM EU towards external partners, including within advocacy networks and coalitions at European and international level, to which End FGM EU is part;
- Represent End FGM EU’s positions at events;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of End FGM EU’s events, particularly in their advocacy aspect and through liaising with European and international institutions representatives to ensure their participation and input;
- Support in drafting funding applications regarding the policy and advocacy activities of the organisation.
Coordinate on advocacy activities within projects and the Ambassador programmes with the Coordinator of Programmes, including on how to ensure End FGM EU programmes have an advocacy impact.
Coordinate communication actions for advocacy impact with the Communications Officer, including how to communicate advocacy achievements with a broader audience.
Supervise the Advocacy Assistants.
Knowledge and Skills:
University degree in Humanities, Social sciences or Political Sciences and/or relevant working experience.
- At least 2-3 years’ experience in a similar position preferably in the non-profit sector;
- Knowledge of women’s human rights and gender equality, GBV, gender in development, in particular FGM;
- Demonstrable experience and skills in influencing policies on women’s human rights and gender-based violence (GBV) with the EU institutions, with desirable experience in female genital mutilation;
- Experience of working at EU level and with European institutions, networks and partnerships / Thorough knowledge of the EU institutions and understanding of EU decision-making;
- Demonstrable experience in developing and implementing advocacy strategies, plans and campaigns;
- Excellent networker and good public speaker, able to represent the organisation to a range of different audiences;
- Knowledge of and commitment to communicating with a gender-sensitive approach and in a human-rights based manner;
- Commitment to End FGM EU’s mission, vision and organisational values;
- Professional fluency in oral and written English;
- Strong organisational skills and detail-oriented;
- Exceptional analytical and communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Good knowledge of French, other EU languages would be an asset;
- Experience of working in an EU institution or an EU Network;
- Experience in transnational coordination work with member organisations;
- Proficiency in the use of social media (particularly Twitter).
What we offer:
- This is an opportunity to work in a dynamic network interacting daily with organisations passionately committed to women’s rights and ending FGM;
- Location: Brussels, Belgium (working from home until Belgian authorities allow to go back to the office). Some travel required (when travelling will be allowed);
- Full-time contract 38h/week;
- This is a fixed-term appointment for one year from approximately the end of August 2021, with the possibility of extension;
- In addition to the salary, we offer meal vouchers, contribution to transport, the 13th month and hospital insurance. Currently, when we are working from home we are also offering working from home allowance and contribution to internet charges.
If interested, please apply by sending a CV, and a completed application form in English to email@example.com by the 6thof July 11:59pm CEST.Interviews will be held in the week of 12-16 July.